Get topic updates

• Hi everybody,

I am a French PhD candidate in Geography, and I would appreciate some help...

My research focuses on the transformations of dairy farming in New Zealand over the last 30 years. The rise of contract milking has been an important part of this, and I would like to know how the price paid to contract milkers fluctuated over the years.

So if you were contract milking during past seasons, could you please take 5 minutes to answer this short survey
    http://questionnaire.simplesurvey.com/Engine/Default.aspx?surveyID=9a64ff77-f491-496e-b15c-f536f2dd6f71&lang=EN ?

That would be very helpful for me.

Please note that this is completely anonymous. If you want to get a copy of my work once finished (end of 2017), please e-mail me at hugonnet.mickael@gmail.com. I thank you very much for your help.

NB : Sorry for my englsih, it is not my native language.

Mickaël.

• Comments

• Hi Mickael,
    I hope your research project is going well so far! I think you may find that contract milkers prices vary in accordance with how large their farm-related expenses are, and their level of experience/skill and thus it may be important to take that into account when considering the differences over years/between regions?

As far as I'm aware, contract milker's allocated price is worked out like this:

Total budgeted expenses for the season + appropriate management fee/profit = total income required. Divide this by the budgeted milk solids for the season.

So for example, a contract milker receiving $1.20/kgMS may have higher overhead costs and therefore may make the same profit as one who receives $1.10/kgMS but who has less overhead costs (in this example they both produce the same amount of milk solids).

Here's a good article which goes into a little more detail about the upsides and pitfalls of contract milking:

I hope that makes sense? All the best!

Looks like your connection to CRS Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.