• Rural Community

The honey industry is absolutely booming. Honeybees are amazing creatures and there are many benefits to having them on farm.

We all love a delivery of honey, but are people moving into deals where there is payment for having the hives on your property?
    There's talk of planting Manuka to get the premium and I've heard that some people are leasing land to honey companies long term to plant manuka...
    What sort of contracts are available these days?
    I'd love to hear about what arrangements you have with your Beekeepers...
    0_1474501560401_upload-26c132f1-1ca1-4c9b-b8f2-f431ad367c99

• Comments

• Hi Rapheal, apologies if I came accross as bad mouthing other bee keepers, was certainly not the intention. We are from a sheep and beef farming background ourselves and we are aware (not just pub gossip) of honey companies bringing in the lawyers if farmers decide the relationship is not working and they want to look at other options.. As a result we opt for short term contracts and back ourselves to be invited back the next season knowing that we do as we promised. The intention was more to inform farmers of my thoughts, opinions and our model on the varying options that exist. Best of luck for the honey season ahead. James

• No need for beekeeper to come here bad mouthing other and spreading pub gossips...
    Different area suit different sites use. That for different deals.
    If you have a beekeeper big or small and that you are happy to deal with him, then carry on.
    In any type of farming long term relationship with supplier and buyer are very important and no different that the relationship with a beekeeper.
    So a short time relationship will only attract wave riders and when things go down they all vanished.
    Polenisation of pasture is just as important for farmers that it is for beekeeper to have good beesites for they bees.

• Hi, we are a honey company based in Taranaki called Egmont Honey Ltd. I thought I might just add to the thread what we tend to do for farmers. Basically we give the option of either a fee per hive or a percentage of the honey. We operate with full transparency so the farmer know exactly what's coming off their property in terms of volume and grade of honey. The system works well and my advise to farmers is that you do not need to sign up to long term contracts and be aware of anyone offering too bigger percentage of the crop because a lot of these bigger companies just manipulate the volumes or honey grade to make the percentages work for them. We would be happy to talk to anyone that has questions about the industry... Can find us through our website egmonthoney.co.nz

• We have 4 bee sites on farm at present, from 2 different companies. We get paid in honey. I think we are doing each other a favour. We get honey and pollination for all our clover and native trees and plants...and they get feed for there bees.

• @Annie on our old farm we got paid per hive (can't remember the exact amount), plus we got honey every year from Comvita. I think the way to go is to form a partnership with the honey company where you might spend some money (share the risk) in order to get a bigger slice of the pie at the other end. The way the industry is going, a small amount per hive and some money is not much compared to what they are making! I reckon farmers have the greatest opportunity, as they own the land.

• @Annie We have two different honey companies on three different properties, one in Bideford and two in Masterton . One company (Manuka Life) are just wintering hives on these properties getting them prepared to become Manuka hives . They pay us $300 per site. On the two sites they have up to 6 different sites. The other company (Watson & Sons) have the hives on the property most of the year in 4 locations. They give us 6 kilos of Honey per site per year.

Looks like your connection to CRS Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.