• There are many pathways dairy farmers can take during their farming career. What pathways have you taken in your farming career? Any lessons you have learnt along the way?

• Comments

• Good advice above - sometimes things work out well and sometimes they don't, it definitely pays to do as much homework as you can before you take the next step! My husband followed I suppose what you would call the 'traditional' dairy farming pathway - Farm Assistant to Farm Manager to Contract Milker to Lower Order Sharemilking (with me) and then we became Herd Owning Sharemilkers. He has always been 'hungry' to learn and is always pushing himself to do better. We feel strongly that honesty and open communication have always been the best policy; it is incredibly important to build strong and positive relationships with those you are either working with or in business with.

• Be careful what opportunities you jump at. Sometimes they work out wonderfully but other times they can bite you in the butt! Always do your own research on the farm you are looking at, including asking around locals. And last but not least if/when you do get bitten on the butt try to stick with it and see it through there will be lessons to learn even if its how NOT to treat people!

Looks like your connection to CRS Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.